It’s been ten months since I’ve seen
my grandson, Xander. Today is his twelfth birthday and I sent him a text. Since
he didn’t answer, I decided to call him and did so. He sounds much the same as
he did since I last talked to or listened to him. It is so hard for me to
understand how his father, my son, can allow so much time to pass by without
allowing me into his son’s life. I guess things are different now than they
were when I was my grandson’s age.
When I was twelve or even younger, my
life was filled with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. No one asked me
if I wanted to have them there, they just were. Sunday dinners were held at the
grandparents or our home and any one of the relatives who were available were
welcome to attend.
It wasn’t that I absolutely loved all
these different individuals, but more that they were simply there, part of my
life. As I aged, I came to realize there were some uncles a niece endeavored to
avoid because of the booze imbibed and the unwelcome and inappropriate expectations
and/or methods by which these relatives showed their interest and/or affection.
I also learned there were some aunties who were far more interesting and
supportive than some of the others.
There were always huge relative gatherings
that happened at least once a year or more. Every single person to whom I was
related showed up and participated in
the potluck and catching up on the latest news about family matters. I was
never asked if I wanted to attend, it was simply expected.
These kinds of gatherings or reunions
have become a thing of the past, at least as far as my own personal family
goes. It’s been years since the remaining aunts, uncles, and cousins have
managed to meet even once a year to look at each other and share a small bit about
our lives with each other. I don’t know why these have become so rare, to the
point that they are no longer held. I miss them and believe that my grandchildren’s
lives are less rich as a result.
In my youth, there were stories that
were shared during these family get-togethers that wouldn’t have been shared
otherwise. These days, those stories and family history are no longer shared
and are lost permanently. It’s, in my opinion, so very sad. I know that as I’ve
gotten older, there have been times and questions I would have loved to have
been able to ask about, but the family that could provide answers no longer exist.
I find myself wondering if my
grandchildren will, at some point, wonder about me or my forebears, but be
unable to find an answer to whatever their question might be. It seems to me
that the more time passes, the more time we and our family members spend online,
the less time and effort we make to share what has come before.
And, speaking of being online, we all
know we can trace our ancestry through one of the available services. I’ve done
that myself and that’s how I found my half-brother with whom I’ve developed a
great relationship. Sure, once I’m gone, my descendants can utilize these
services to look for and trace their ancestry, but it comes as words on paper,
without emotion or even context. All the stories I’ve gathered in all my years
won’t be included. It’s not just my information either, but the information I’e
brought forward from my parents, grandparents and other family who passed
before me.
So, at some point, I assume that any
information not found online about me will be almost nonexistent. Rather than a
fully developed person, I, and the others before me, will be one-dimensional.
This is because as time has passed, we haven’t tried to reach out to each
other, to know each other, to share our lives in any way, shape or form. I’m
sure my grandson knew who I was when I called this evening, but I know, without
doubt, that he doesn’t and will most likely never really know me, his Nana, at
all. His memories, unlike mine about those in my past, will be few and far
between.
This idea/knowledge makes me very sad.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment