Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

HEART HEALTH UPDATE

 


          For more than a week now, I’ve been trying to write a post about how I’m doing after my heart attack and stent placement. I want to be informative as well as amusing; however, my funny bone seems to have been affected in some way and refuses to find humor in much of anything these days…very annoying, not to mention depressing.

Anyway, as of this afternoon, it has been three weeks since the doctors placed six stents in my cardiac arteries. I’m still amazed by what they did, the fact they needed to do it, and how much better I think I’m feeling as a result. The miracle of modern medicine undoubtedly saved my life.

          As for how I’ve been doing and am doing currently, I still feel very tired and could probably take a nap every afternoon, but rarely do. Of course, if I lay down to read my book, then the next thing I know, I’m waking up and the I-pad is on my chest. I’m assuming it’s just my body adjusting to blood coursing through all my veins and arteries the way it’s supposed to.

I’m also fighting off depression, i.e., how can I possibly be depressed when I’m alive and better off than before stents (BS). Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, although some articles I’ve read seem to indicate becoming depressed can be considered normal. Part of the depression may be not having a normal schedule as I did before all this happened. That will change Friday when I return to my fitness class. I don't have to wait six weeks to exercise after all...good news. That means I’ll see people three days a week rather than just now and then. I’m sure that will assist with lifting the depression…I do miss my friends and my schedule.

To keep myself busy, I’ve been working around the house and in the garden. I did become a bit concerned during the weed wars when my heart rate got up into the 120s. I felt just fine, but thought I should check it out on the internet. Turns out my optimum heart rate with exercise is 137 beats per minute, so I had more than a few beats to spare. That’s good news, or at least I think so.

          The week after the procedure, I saw the cardiologist as well as another doctor from my personal doctor’s team. It certainly seemed like overkill to me, but the general MD did order blood and urine tests which the cardio MD did not. I also received a covid booster. I would have gotten the flu shot as well, but it won’t be available until fall. Now, the good Lord willing and the creeks don’t rise, I don’t have to go back until October.

          I’ve also been talking to my cardiology nurse once a week about how I’m doing and how to go about changing my lifelong habits so they are more heart healthy. I must admit I haven’t been doing a very good job, i.e., last week I had two (2) bacon cheeseburgers, onion rings and two (2) small milkshakes, not to mention a restaurant breakfast. Add to that the fact I only walked two (2) days during the week and there are no gold stars next to my name. On the other hand, I did purchase a heart healthy cookbook for one, and except for those two BAD days, I’ve paid close attention to my diet…I was paying attention those two days too, but OMG, every single bite was absolutely yummy.

           Lastly, there’s my brain function. I’m beginning to wonder if some of the plaque in my arteries got loose during the procedure and has taken up residence in my head. Or, I suppose it could be due to being tired, but I find myself searching for words when talking or thinking. Eventually what I’m looking for churns its way to the surface, but I sure hate the wait and sometimes the wait is so long, the conversation has moved on to another topic. Did these spells last this long BS or does it just seem that way because of my experience and my search for changes?

          I also have a new mattress which arrived yesterday. It came all rolled up and the delivery guy carried it in on one shoulder. I was amazed how it EXPANDED once they took off the plastic wrap. He told me it would take 24-48 hours for it to fully expand, so Kuma and I alternated between the twin bed and the couch all night…I’m tired today and figure we’ll sleep like logs tonight. I decided on getting a new mattress because there was no back pain when I got up in the hospital, but it returned big time the first night home. I have high hopes this new mattress will alleviate any further suffering…I’m way more than ready.

          So, there you go. This is how I’m doing three weeks out. I wish I could have posted more amusing information, but like I said, my funny bone refuses to cooperate. I’ve great hopes that once I’m working hard at being fit, it will wake up and rise to any challenge I…or anyone else…might present.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for you health problems but at least it ( not to be funny) kill you. One of my fellow co workers had six stents put in also he is back to work part time and you will get back to where you want to be My prayers are with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Paula,
    You have certainly been busy getting all stented up. I would guess the blood flow is much better. I have heart issues but only atrial fibrillation so the medication is working for me. I will be in town starting mid next week, primarily to see my doctors as they are the prescribers of my meds. I am sure my cardiologist will be non to happy with me as I have quit taking blood pressure and statin meds. Maybe she will fire me.
    Personally I think eating hamburgers is okay just don’t eat the bun. I am practicing a KETO way of eating. I am looking forward to lab tests. I am reasonably sure you are sick of them.
    Hope to see you when I get there. I was trying to rent Phil and Marie’s apartment but they say it is booked.
    Talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete